Even before the first world war, textile manufacturer Rinhold Friese had the idea of building a refined and hospitable place as accomodation for the many visitors and company representatives that visited Kirschau. It became a reality in 1921 when the Fremdenhof GmbH was established. It was comprised of the textile companies Gebrüder Friese, Pelz und Paul and Otto Engert from Kirschau, and C.G. Thomas from Wilthen, Carl Kalauch from Köblitz and Weinbrand Hünlich AG from Wilthen
They sought the best architect of their time for the designing, planning and supervision of the building: Max Hans Kühne from Dresden. After buying the plot which measured about 1 hectare, the building was erected between 1921 and 1923. The building was modified to fit the town’s character with its playful baroque touch.
The three day opening of the Zum Weber guesthouse took place from January 27th to January 29th 1923. It had 34 hotel rooms, a restaurant and a banqueting hall, commercial buildings, a modern bowling alley, garages, stables and carriage houses. A simple inn, the Schwemme, was also present. Five tenants ran the Zum Weber guesthouse. Following this success, the world depression led to hard times.
The building was put up for forced sale in 1935. The textile company Gebrüder Friese AG placed the highest bid with 19000 Reichsmark and acquired the guesthouse “Zum Weber“ to rent it once more. Durning the Second World War (1942 to 1945) the building was used as a camp for the so called Kinderlandverschickung- the relocation of children to the countryside to shelter them from aerial bombings in the cities. With the death of the last tenant, E. Maul, the building’s time as an inn and hotel once again ended shortly after the end of the war. In 1949 the company Gebrüder Friese AG leased the building to Kirschau municipality council. Friese was now a business under GDR orders to manage and protect foreign property. After the foundation of the GDR in 1949, the guesthouse Zum Weber was renamed Ernst-Thälman-House and developed the rooms for a Kindergarten with sleeping facilites. A day home for schoolchildren and a day nursery were added in 1954 and 1955 respectively.
After the children facilities moved into the former villas of past manufacturer owners Paul Friese in 1963 and Max Pelz in 1968, the foundation stone was lain for a new usage as a holiday home and guest house of the VEB VEGRO (a state-owned enterprise: Vereinigte Grobgarnwerke Kirsche – a factory for coarse yarns). After an expansion of the school building with day home in 1972 (the classes took place in the rooms of the former „Weber“) and after the construction of a general purpose buidling with dining hall the real construction could finally begin, albeit at first only of a weekend.
p style=”text-align: left;”>From 1977 until 1980 work commenced on the the Ernst-Thälman-House and on on 28th March 1980 it was reopened and once again named holiday home and guesthouse Zum Weber. It housed 200 seats, which were shared between the restaurant, Körse-Eck, a wine terrace, a dance bar and a farmhouse. Furthermore, 35 hotel rooms were available. The Weber had to fulfil another task as holiday home. It was used as a vacation home by VEGOR and other state-owned companies and as a holiday camp for children during the school holidays. Along with several A-frame houses; a functional unit with kitchen, dining hall and room for sports and activities for the holiday camp were built. The end for the whole complex came in 1991, when everything belonging to Gebrüder Friese AG, which was part of VEB VEGRO Kirschau since 1969, including the holiday camp and the guesthouse „Zum Weber“ went on sale from 1992 onwards. After 4 years ofundisturbed sleep the family of Rüdiger Schumann bought the „Weber“. Renovation work began on the complex from November 1997 until August 1998 and the re-opening of the hotel „Zum Weber“ took place on August 21st.